Wednesday, January 16, 2008

“We’re Not Too Into Judgment Here”

Tonight I taught a really fun yoga class to my advanced class. We worked up to Kapotasana and it was fabulous! What was most poignant for the evening was a discussion we had. Now this group of students has been with me for about 7-9 years so we are very close. We have lovely, deep philosophical discussions and sometimes we just get downright, joyously silly. Recently a new student has joined who is relatively new to yoga. He is very dedicated, coming to class several times each week. He is also very hard on himself and what he deems to be “appropriate yoga behavior.” We had pulled out chairs to help with our Kapotasana preparation and he sat down and joked that he was ready to have chips and salsa delivered. We all said that sounded so good! Then his voice changed to judgment, saying that it wasn’t good for him in a “I shouldn’t eat it” sort of tone. One woman joked by saying, “I don’t know… salsa has fruit and vegetables in it.” He continued down his judgment path and added that it was all the other things that went with the salsa that were bad, the chips, the beer. We laughed and said the beer has hops which has Vitamin B. I also added that some good chips and salsa can be incredibly nourishing to the soul. And then another woman said her wine is a fruit serving for the day…I think you get the picture. I finally ended the joking with, ”We aren’t too into judgment here.” The new student said quite seriously, “I know. That is why I feel so good here.”

His comment gave me pause. How incredibly powerful that statement was for me to hear. I take non-judgment for granted because I have surrounded myself with people who do not judge me. It is a gift we give to our students when we allow them the space of non-judgment as well. Let them explore their bodies and the issues they have stored there knowing they are safe.

6 comments:

Marya said...

Very inspirational! Can't wait until we are all living that way!

Melissa said...

Sounds like my kind of yoga class! I remember a class where a beginning student tried to sit with his legs in a V-shape in the air, his fingers looped around his toes. He fell over backwards and burst out laughing. He kept rocking back and forth on his back with his rear in the air and got the whole class in a good belly laugh. Beginners are fun.:-)

Tamlin said...

Laughter is my favorite part of our yoga classes (goes well with the not judging)!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Laura, I love that story! It's great to know that there are teachers out there creating that safe environment that is so utterly important! I see too many teachers who are not comfortable within themselves enough to make their students feel completely at ease.

Namaste,

Kali

http://thespacebetweenllc.com

Anonymous said...

Wow, Laura, I love that story. It's great to hear about those who are creating the safe environment that is so utterly important! I observe too many teachers who are not comfortable enough within themselves to allow their students to be completely at ease.

Namaste,

Kali

http://thespacebetweenllc.com

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thing for him to say. I am a new yoga teacher and find your blog very inspirational. Thank you.